Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Saint Joe to Fresno


This was the closest I’d come.  Nearly there.  For the past two weeks someone was conducting a background check on me for a job where I had interviewed twice and had two tours of the workplace.  E-mails and phone calls had gone back and forth and I was waiting to see if I would return to the world of the employed. 
I’ve had interviews before.  I’ve “toured the facility,” met potential co-workers, taken tests to determine if I can do what I say I can do, and been questioned about everything from how a network switch might improve an aquarium patron’s experience to where do I see myself in five years.  Hate, hate, hate that question.  Now, for the past 14 days, someone was checking my work, education, and criminal history or lack there of.  Hadn’t gotten that far before.  I wasn't worried because there are no lies on my resume.
The job was to be with Disney, and no it didn’t involve walking around an amusement park with a dust pan and broom or putting on a giant cartoon head.  It was a networking job in Fresno but for Disney/ABC Television.  Good pay, benefits, perks (free admission to all parks for my family), and interesting work.  The man who just vacated the job is a friend of mine and not only recommended me on the way out, but admitted that I knew more about the systems there than he did.
Prayers were offered by those I know who feel that works, wishes were made, fingers were crossed, and hope was pulled out from under the couch cushions next to the remote, dusted off, and put in a prominent place over by the TV.
Today ironically, as I was leaving an interview in San Jose for another job, I got the call.  The recruiter at Disney, named Donald if you can believe that, said thanks but no thanks.  They “went with another candidate” but would keep my information on file in case any other opportunities came up.  I’m curious, in the history of well, history has anyone ever been hired because someone kept their information “on file” and just pulled it later when the mythical job popped up? I asked if it was my resume or the background check and he said neither, they just felt the other candidate was better qualified.  Good for him.  Andrea said, “I hope the guy they hired instead of you has really bad breath.”
So no dream job for me.  At least not yet.  Okay, that’s the way it goes right?
Wasn’t meant to be. 
These things happen for a reason. 
When a door closes a window opens.
Good times are just around the corner.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. 
Righty-tighty / lefty-loosy.
You can lead a horse to water but who gives a shit?  Okay, I changed that last one. 
Sure I mind not getting the job but what ate at me on the drive back from Saint Joe to Fresno is that fact that now it is reset time.  Again.  The odometer rolls back to zero.  The stopwatch is clered.  There is no tally of how many jobs I’ve applied for, other than my own, that pops up when some company gets an application from me.  No one cares how many interviews I’ve had.  It’s not like someone is going to say, “Oh, I see you’ve applied for 372 jobs in the past year.  I think it’s time you were given one.”  Every day is a reboot.  Every day I’m starting from scratch.  No one is counting.  As far as the employer world is concerned, I lost my job yesterday and they are the first place I’ve turned.
This is not a battle of attrition.  The castle wall is as unscathed as it was when I laid siege in July of last year, because every day it’s a new castle.  Tomorrow I’ll get up, get the boys ready for school, wave to one as he rides off on his bike and drive the other, then sit down and look for work.  Bring on the trebuchet. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the job. The castle metaphor is brilliant. You should get a job just for that, but should doesn't factor in. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete