Thursday, May 23, 2013

Only Human



   I'm only human, of flesh and blood I'm made.
Human, born to make mistakes.
-Human League




             Back when I was in the service my ship pulled into Valdez, Alaska for a few days of liberty for the crew.  On the first day there was a posting that said if anyone was interested in touring the southern terminal of the Alaskan Pipeline, there would be a van waiting on the dock the next morning.  Thinking there would be a mad scramble for seats on that van, I went down and found one early.  By the time the van left, my touring companions were the Captain of our ship, the XO (second in command), a gaggle of other officers, a representative of either the Pipeline or the City of Valdez, I don’t remember which, and me.  The mad scramble had never materialized.
            As we made our way to the terminal there was talk of the behavior of the crew the night before.  Some scuffles had happened between Coasties and townspeople, a neon beer sign had turned up missing, and maybe some bar furniture had been damaged.  The Captain started and apology when the rep from the area waved it off and said something like, “Sounds like the Coast Guard recruits from the same human race the rest of us are from.”
            I’ve always remember that line, even if I don’t remember who said it or what he represented.  I think of it now and then when reading about some of the sins we deliver upon each other.  I recently read where reports of sexual abuse in the military were up in 2012.  A whopping 26,000 reported cases.  Before you get as upset as I did when you realize that is 500 cases a week, understand that for every reported assault or abuse, nine likely go unreported. 
           But wait there’s more as they say.  Back in May Lt. Col. Jeffrey Krusinski was arrested for sexual battery.  One more military member added to between 26,000 and 260,000 matters little right?  Well what if Krusinski’s job was say, oh I don't know, to lead a sexual assault prevention program for the Air Force?  Too much to believe?  Believe.
          We throw the word hero at those serving in all branches of our armed forces, and indeed in a career where many literally put their lives on the line, hero seems appropriate.  But just because they wear the uniform, doesn’t mean they are heroic.  Remember, same human race.  Mr. Krusinski certainly had the opportunity to be and was anything but.  Praise those that do heroic deeds, but not all heroism is performed by those on the battlefield.  Sometimes it’s by those who come forward to say “this is not right” and by those who protect and defend them, along with the Constitution they swore to.

2 comments:

  1. I read a book once that quoted an Eastern (from my Occidental vantage point) proverb: "It is darkest beneath the flame."

    The added danger is confusing the sins of individuals with all who wear the uniform, or look the same...It's like when someone does something screwy in the name of God, I gotta remind myself that He probably had spam-blocked that request.

    ReplyDelete