Friday, June 13, 2014

A Central Valley Hick in St. Francis' Court


                From 1985 to 2011 I worked at two places.  For 14 years I was at a paint manufacturing plant (Duncan Enterprises) and for the other 12 years a telephone company / Internet service provider (Sebastian).  Starting on Monday morning, June 16th, I will have had three employers in the past three years; Fresno County, Community Hospitals, and at 9:00 am that morning the San Francisco Police Department.  I never meant to be a person who jumps from job to job, and in fact I’m hoping my newest employer will be from where I retire. 

                I’ll start my new career working in the San Francisco Hall of Justice.  Home of Dirty Harry, Karl Malden, Michael Douglas on TV and Michael Douglas in the movies, Steve McQueen, and the real cops who hunted the Zodiac.  Then in November they’ll (we’ll) move, lock, stock, and barrel, to a new building south of the ballpark, in an up and coming area called Mission Bay.  The name is old but the construction is new.

                There are a million things I’ll need to do.  I’ll need to learn the Streets of San Francisco.  I’ll need to find a place to live in a place with some of the most expensive housing in the country.  I’ll need to configure a commute that will not shorten my life through stress.  I’ll need to learn the systems and procedures for yet another IS team.  And the list goes on.  Every day may end up being a learning experience for me.  I probably should have done this at 22 and not 52, but men plan and gods laugh.

                I guess this will also give me an opportunity to reboot my blog.  I can chronicle my journey from a Central Valley hick to a sophisticated and urbane San Franciscan (at least during the workday).  Although I don’t consider myself the former and think there are other goals to shoot for than just the latter.   

                So wish me luck.  Drop by if you’re in The City and I see if I can’t find a decent restaurant for lunch.  Maybe Italian?
 
Extra:  The motto on the SFPD shield is oro en paz fierro en guerra, which translates to "Gold in Peace, Iron in War."  I didn't realize they were so much into geology.

2 comments:

  1. Woo HOOOOOO! Congrats, Moriarty! I think by definition a true adventure must be unexpected. Land well in a safe harbor.

    ReplyDelete